Monday 19 August 2013

Sparking curiosity

After spending the weekend stressing out on my design issue and forcing out an issue that revolves around the word "Curiosity", I went to class carrying little hope stack of paper with scrambled ideas. Moreover, the thought of the stepping into week 3 with not having an existing topic is just plain scary. 

However, after some discussion with my fellow classmates and lecturers, I've finally found a direction on how my project can work based on curiosity. And I realized that I had too many thoughts and all I need to do is to string them together. 


I'll be doing on a topic of Losing curiosity as we grow / The death of curiosity as a designer. By trying to complete the first few points of the Design Research Proposal, it has surely guided me along. 


Qn : How did the problem begin?


  • Losing curiosity as we grow out of our childhood phrase
  • Education and parenting system
  • Working society
Qn : What are the various causes to the problem?
  • No longer practiced
  • Technology obsession
  • Convenience 
Qn : Who is affected?
  • General > Designers
Qn : Why is it important / urgent? (Advantages)
  • Reignite the childhood need for discovery
  • Become good listeners and conversationalist
  • Gain intelligence and problem solving ability
  • Seek new experiences & explore new ideas
  • Active brains - Smart brains
  • Make people happier ETC 


After the group discussion, I thought of the implementation of senses can make the idea of curiosity more interesting. For example making better experience using our five senses and blocking out different senses to create a different volume of curiosity. Or solitary might even make our sense of curiosity different.


I also found out that there are quite an amount of research areas that can be covered, I just need to get started. 

Perhaps finding proof and evidence through articles that talks about the background of curiosity itself, the function of it and the definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment