Thursday 21 November 2013

Travel Journal Korean + Japan


Earlier this week, I received good news from the dean that the travel journal that I completed in Korea was finally shipped back to singapore. Which is good news and just in time for assessment because I think that the contents are interesting and it speaks for the outcome. Plus it is better to have the tangible journal than just read from the A3 poster. This journal is the first version which I completed in Korea and done according to the sights and sounds of Korea. It was tried out by me and I just wanted to make use of the trip which at the same time can benefit my studio.

The korean trip project's concept was revolved mainly about Traces of a city. So I combined it with my hypothesis which is the 5 senses, and during the trip the journal was completed by collecting traces of korea with the usage of the five senses. 


To begin, the first page contains the traveller's profile page where the participant can take a picture and slot it into the illustrated box and also write personal details such as name, age, travel period and location which gives the journal a personal touch.


This page ask the participant to observe the surrounding and translate it by hand drawing it out.



There was a pocket that contained a spoon and tissue paper which I used and left the traces of what I've eaten. It contains smell and touch to it. 





This particular activity works in terms of inspirations, because some things in korea is different from singapore, hence we can draw inspirations to our designs out of something we are not familiar with or see everyday.




The collection of remains of posters that were pasted on random walls and lamp posts that were basically found on streets of Seoul. Which created a collage out of scraps of leftover paper.

A collection of things that sticks, stickers found on food that I have consumed or found on train tickets.

Tea bags were collected because they are the type of tea that only Korea has, plus they each have a different texture for the outer tea bag and each smells and taste differently.




A pouch which contains graphic design related materials such as flyers, leaflets etc. Some were collected because of the nice designs while some were collected because of it's texture. I think that they can inspire a designer as they are in style of the korean designs. 



The page of the left has traces of the food I consumed in korea which I purposely imprinted into the journal and had the name and taste documented down.

Overall, the journal was completed and side tracked a little from my studio intentions which was to pay attention to the little details of our environment using our five senses. However in the end, I realized that it was more like collecting things that will inspire designs. Therefore I changed the activities for the second version of the travel journal which was then used in Tokyo.



Some images of the travel journal no.2 which was done in Tokyo, they activities were changed and improvised after some problems with the activities were identified when I was trying to complete the travel journal in korea which was also the first version. Some activities were kept the same just that they were improvised, while some are totally new.

For assessment, a empty travel journal will also be present to show how it looks like with no contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment