Sunday 20 October 2013

Insprivisuals - Disposable camera packaging














The various interesting and existing disposable camera packagings, some were personal projects while some were sold in major stores. I think the main point of a graphic packaged disposable camera is not just mainly about providing convenience to the user because it is a one use camera which can easily be bought at grocery stores, it is also because the packaging design is appealing and attractive to the user.
I am considering to do the five senses vector and make them into a repetitive pattern that will package the disposable camera, either in plain black and white or using the proposed colour scheme of peach, light brown, white and black.

In order to complete this outcome, I would need disposable cameras. So I went online to search and also stores around the neighbourhood. However, I realized that they are all quite pricey, most of them are between $19 to $21. Which I can't afford to buy 3, 1 for WIP show next week and 2 for my tester users to use in Tokyo. I can purchase cheaper ones online but they will not arrive in time, and some I found online are not sold in Singapore. Carrefour has cheap disposable cameras at $5 but all hypermarkets are already closed down.

1 : Muji Disposable Camera $7.90
Muji sells disposable cameras but the retail shops in Singapore do not carry them anymore. It is quite a waste because it is cheap and also easy to design on because the paper/cardboard does not cover the whole camera. But maybe I can buy in Japan during my Tokyo trip, and bring it back to repackage, since it is cheaper.
2. Fujifilm Quicksnap
This is commonly found in photo develop shops and supermarkets, however they are $19 for one. It is a bit too pricey for me to get. But if there isn't a choice, I would get it because the design seems easier to play around with. 


3. Ikea disposable camera, Knappa
Did you know? That idea sells disposable cameras too? This camera is rather special because the user can built it himself before using, and the packaging of the camera is very "exposed", because the battery compartment can be seen. Will check out local ikea stores to see if they bring these in.


4. Kodak disposable camera
This kodak disposable camera can also be commonly found in Singapore photo developing stores or supermarkets, but it is very pricey! Retailing at $21 and the shape of the camera is too curvy and odd, which will be hard for me to repackage.


5. Fuijifilm 

This camera is the lightest and easiest to repackage, I have one that I bought from Tokyo 3 years ago and I got it at SGD$6. However, I only have two. So if all the above doesn't work out, I will repackage one first to show for WIP and go over Tokyo to buy spares. The only downside is, I would need to go Japan to buy 2 for my tester user kit and can only come back and repackage it. Moreover, a lot of chances for taking photographs and starting of the documentation for the pocket diary kit will be wasted.


2 comments:

  1. Do you have any templates you can share for a disposable camera cover? If so can you email me one? :) aphillips24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! It's really an informative content. Thanks for sharing this useful information.

    Looking for wholesale disposable packaging suppliers in Australia? Reach APAK Distribution.

    ReplyDelete