Sunday 20 October 2013

Process : The making of Travel Journal version 2



To allow easy insertion of the instax photos, I cut slits at the corners of the box so that it will be convenient to place the photo there without the usage of glue.




After sticking the transparency behind to make a see through pocket, I also made extra space to collect objects by placing a half folded paper at the bottom of the page.


After arranging the pages in sequence, I am ready for binding. I stacked two pieces of paper at the left side of the pages so that the binding would be more sturdy and the journal would not be so flimsy. 




Next, I cut the leather almost the same size as A5, which is the size of the journal with an extra piece at the right side for the book flap. After that I secured the cover and the contents with the screw bind. 




I cut two slits on the inner side of the flap, so that the long piece of leather strap that ties the journal can go through. To secure it, I applied glue to it so that the leather strap will not fall out in any case. After which I cut another piece of leather and stick onto the flap so that the flipside of the leather which is white won't be seen. Then I glue the two pieces of leather to complete the booklet.








For the first version of the journal, there wasn't a title or logo on the cover hence it was very plain and didn't draw much attention or give a clue about what the booklet was about. So for this version of journal, I decided to place a piece of paper on the flap that is like a book mark. 

At first I tried to sew it down onto the flap, but because I didn't have a sewing machine the outcome of it did not look nice and in order. So I ditched the sewing idea and used glue instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment