Saturday 14 September 2013

Experimenting with rainbows

Today, I was more than excited to get the experiment started. I bottled the solutions into separate bottles and ready to start production. However, after the first experiment, the results was nothing like what I expected. When I sprayed all 5 bottles onto the circular card, they wasn't a chemical reaction hence no colour change was formed at all. I panicked because I was expecting 4 colours to appear. Plus, the reactions of mixing distilled water and baking soda did not work. And it only meant that my experiment has failed.




I was wondering if it has to do with the diffusion method, because dripping would be more concentrated. Or was it because the solutions were not acids and alkali from the laboratory and were actually DIY from household items.  So i pulled out some blank papers and tried using the dripping method. It has concluded that the puddles allows the colour change to be very much obvious as compared to the spraying method. The colour change reacts immediately and the vinegar and bleach solutions were more prominent. The disadvantage of using the dripping method is that big puddles will be formed on the paper and will take a much longer time for it to evaporate as compared to the sprayed method. Because it is a takeaway message for my audiences and having a big puddle there is not really ideal.





The puddles took quite awhile to dry up, but the colour impressed onto the paper were beautiful as the edges sips into the paper. 





The colour left on the paper turns out to be a mixture of colours, mostly red, green, purple and blue. Which I personally think that the chemical reaction is beautiful and I think it makes the takeaway message even more special.








 It's a wrap. I've taken short video clips to narrate a story that talks about my design issue and the background. So the bigger aspect of my outcome one would most slightly be a short video clip and a series of posters. Editing will start tomorrow. Today's failures and successes was really a good and interesting lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment