Thursday 12 September 2013

DIY your chemistry

After the chemistry research on how different acid and bases can get different reactions, I've decided to do an experiment to see if the DIY method would work. I've gathered a few things
  • Red Cabbage
  • Distilled water
  • White vinegar
  • Baking powder
  • Bleach


Firstly, I boiled the red cabbage and then extracted the leftover liquid that will now act as a pH indicator. Then experimenting the different reactions but slowly mixing different solutions to the red cabbage substance.







Each paper has a different colour after reacted with different solutions, which proves that my DIY is workable! However, I found out that the yellow one that contains the bleach changes from green to yellow in a few seconds. And it does not stain colour on the paper, it starts to turn back colourless. 



A mixture of different colours when I mixed 3 solutions with the red cabbage substance. 
After this experiment, I've concluded that my solutions are not concentrated enough because the colours are quite light and does not stain too much on the 160gm paper. So, for my outcome I would need to mix more of each ingredients for the colour to be stronger. Also, I will consider to use a spray method instead of the dripping method because it gathers a big water droplet which will be troublesome for the user to keep the takeaway message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment