Thursday 20 February 2014

Kate Mclean : Sensory Maps (Smell)

Kate Mclean has so many interesting works, I haven't got time to go through all of her works. Especially these smell maps that looks so visually good that makes me curious. Its amazing how she created visuals out of smell, well that is the way I interpret it. 



Then I came across her work which is the smell map done in paris, which reminds me of using the sense of smell to trigger memories. Basically the audience were invited to: 
SMELL a scent from any of the bottles
RECALL what it reminds you of 
WRITE the place and/or feeling you associate with the smell
STICK your notes on the board near to the bottle of scent







I like the idea of forcing or encouraging people to enhance the usage of their senses, which in this case is the sense of smell. This project encourages people to dig out a memory or a relationship they have with a location just based on recalling the space with the help of scent. The idea is almost similar to my project, which is to link experience and memory done. Her works are so inspiring and I like how they are not so direct and the many approaches she takes to get her message sent.

No comments:

Post a Comment