Wednesday 26 February 2014

Ups and downs

This week, I have faced some difficulties and challenges in trying to get hold of some laboratory apparatus. Some basic apparatus such as flask, beakers and test tubes are readily available at art friend or local warehouses. However some other glasswares such as the condensers and adapters are slightly difficult to purchase. 

Although I managed to source down a local company that has a wide range of chemistry laboratory supplies ranging from chemicals to apparatus to labortary equipments, the process of purchasing takes a long time. Yesterday I received the quotation from the company and those apparatus they listed down from my request were very pricey. Most probably they were trying to rip me off because my purchase is so small compared to purchases from big companies or local schools. I am still sourcing for other alternatives from that company because I am aware that they have the same kind of apparatus that functions the same but might not be as high quality. 


This morning I decided to search on taobao, a china website that sells almost everything in the world and some other china supply websites. And yes they do sell what I am looking for, and I was so excited! They sold the distiller which I have been hunting up and down, and it comes in a whole setup plus it was way cheaper than the lot I sourced for yesterday. Then only down side to purchasing from the china website was that if it was trustable and it would most slightly take 2 weeks to reach singapore. So I thought to myself that it's always better that I get the materials I need even if I have to wait for a long period. After adding everything needed for not just this outcome but other first few outcomes in the cart with a reasonable price of $63, I got a shock when the delivery charge was a total of $200. Goodness me, after spending almost have a day deciding what to purchase, the total amount scared me. I feel like i am on a roller coaster ride, all I need to do now is pull myself together and keep on sourcing via other alternatives. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment