Monday 10 March 2014

Test tube necklace ideation


Recently, I've been figuring out an idea of a "kit" which is needed for the users of my final outcome. The main purpose is for the users to carry around and collect objects with smell which they find interesting or have not smelled it before and they would like to collect that smell as a piece of memory. I had ideas of using tiny glass bottles or even small boxes.

Until I thought that since I would be using chemistry as an art direction, I should use chemistry glasswares so that my outcomes will look like a whole. And I thought about the usage of test tubes because I am not using them for any outcomes so far, and they are slim and portable. Also, it is transparent and people are able to see the contents / objects collected in the test tube. 



And I suddenly had the idea of making the test tube into a necklace. People wear necklaces as accessories, some wear them as they have sentimental value, while some wear them as a reminder. Necklaces are things that people wear around the neck and never hinders them, because it is much easier than carrying by hand or wearing around the waist etc. So I thought that the idea of my collecting kit being a necklace would be a good idea. It will be lightweight and a space for collecting small objects. It's main purpose is to encourage users to explore with their 5 senses and curiosity to look out for objects with small, collect them and place them into the test tube.




                           

I was also inspired by this jewellery designer who designed a kaleidoscope necklace, and the fun fact about it is that they have nothing inside the kaleidoscope. It makes use of the environment and reflects them into the kaleidoscope. I like how is it so portable and convenient. 







Here are some images of necklaces that can contain solids or liquids that are available in online stores and shops. They all are of different designs, shapes and sizes but the main purpose of them is for people to wear it with perhaps something inside that has a meaning to them. 

While my test tube necklace will be light weight, portable, light and small. Even if it is made of glass and might be fragile, necklaces are normally worn around our neck which has a lesser chance of breaking as compared to wearing it around our arms, wrist or ankles. The test tube is also able to contain small solids and small amount of liquid. It will be covered with a stopper so that the contents will not slip out.




No comments:

Post a Comment